Saturday 20 September 2008

Fake bank emails

The phishers are working hard. This morning I received an email (supposedly) from Lloyds TSB who cheerfully informed me "We have updated the Internet Banking Terms and Conditions to reflect changes to the cut off times for transactions.".


Now I don't have an account with them. I do use online banking with my bank and I have my account set so that they don't send me emails. So I know that any bank email I receive must be a fake.


How else can I tell it's a fake? If I point my mouse at the link in the email which is supposed to take me to the bank website, this is what I see at the bottom left of my computer screen. Not the address of the real bank website.

If I try to click on the link and open it in any of my web browsers I receive a warning message that this is a reported phishing site.

This phishing filter feature (try saying that in a hurry!!) is built into all new web browsers. If you are using an outdated browser, please update to the latest version with the latest security features.

What do I mean by a web browser? Internet Explorer, Firefox, Google Chrome, Safari and others. If you use a Mac computer you are just as vulnerable to phishing attempts as Windows users. Make sure you are using the latest version of your browser. If you're not sure which version you are using, try clicking on the help button. Then go to the manufacturer's website and see if there is a later version to download.

Meanwhile, stay alert and be safe.

No comments:

 
Clicky Web Analytics