Wednesday 24 September 2008

Paragraph Indents

My new beginners' class started this morning. One student managed to type a few paragraphs of text with a hanging indent.

What is a hanging indent? It's when the first line of the paragraph is longer than the subsequent lines. The underneath lines are all indented. If you've never seen it before and don't mean to do it, it can look a bit odd.

Not surprisingly the student was rather alarmed about what she'd done and wanted her paragraphs to look like everyone elses.

I love it when my students manage to do odd little things like that. It's the perfect opportunity for a class demonstration. This time on first line indents and hanging indents.

I can't demonstrate the different type of paragraph indents here on the blog, but if you'd like to know more about the different types of paragraph indents, head on over to this page of my website. I'll show you all you ever wanted to know about indented paragraphs but were afraid to ask!

No comments:

 
Clicky Web Analytics